Thursday, June 5, 2014

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Vampire Academy #1
Published November 2013 by Razorbill (Reprint)
Paperback, 332 pages
Borrowed from library



In the world Vampire Academy is set in, humans live among vampires. There are three types of vampires: Moroi, Dhampirs, and Strigoi. Moroi are pure vampires while dhampirs are half-human, half-Moroi. And as for Strigoi, they're dead vampires turned immortal when they kill another being. And they're out to kill more...

So because of the threat of Strigoi, all Moroi royalty need guardians. Rose Hathaway is her best friend Princess Lissa Dragomir's guardian. They've been on the run together since escaping their school St. Vladimir's but when the book starts, are seen being taken back to the school. And even though THEY should be safe there, what with all the guardians stationed around the school, peculiar things start to happen... DUN DUN DUNNN



The main thing I have to say in regards to this book is WHY DID IT TAKE ME SO LONG TO READ IT?? I must be the last person on Earth to have finished this book and even though this review is wayy overdue (I finished Vampire Academy back in April), I still have so many FEELS and THOUGHTS because this book is FABULOUS and I want to shout it from the hilltops because yeah, it's just amazing.
---

Vampire Academy takes vampires and totally turns the idea of them on its head.
Ever since reading Twilight, I've stayed away from vampire novels and not because I thought Twilight had a horrible depiction of vampires (though I have to say, the glamorization of the vampires was sorta hilarious). I just wasn't really more novels about vampires which was why I was super hesitant to read Vampire Academy. OH MY GOD THOUGH because Vampire Academy takes all my opinions of vampires (those glittery creatures, anyone?) - mostly formed by Twilight - and flips it on its head. Vampires in this book are stronger, faster, bigger, cooler and way, way more scary. 

I thought the details of the world in which the vampires existed here were much more fleshed out too.
Here I go, comparing it to Twilight even though I said I wouldn't. But let me just say this real quick: the world-building in Vampire Academy was fabulous and thought out really well. I felt like all the little details were considered and that really was what helped make this book such an engrossing read. In Twilight, the world wasn't nearly as interesting or captivating which is okay because I liked Twilight for other things. But if you want to see strong world-building, check out this book!

Rose is a strong leading female character.
Enough said. But if you want more, how about this: Rose is one of the most interesting and strongest heroines that I've ever read and I love that about her. She isn't scared to say what she thinks and while bad things happen to her, she holds her head high and treks through each day like a warrior. 

Rose and Lissa have a great friendship and I loved reading about the two of them!
Friendship is something that I always say I would love to see more in YA and I definitely got that in this book! There is a really strong focus on Lissa and Rose's friendship in this book and while they certainly aren't your typical BFFs, I thought it worked superb and maybe even helped elevate their relationship dynamic.

DIMITRI BELIKOV. 
Yes, it had to be in all caps because Dimitri, DUDE. OH MY FREAKING GIBLETS. DIMITRI. I GET IT NOW. EVERYONE WHO WAS SCREAMING ABOUT HIM. I GET IT. I GET IT. Even if I didn't like everything else about this book as much as I did, I think I would still continue the series because Dimitri was fabulous. Yes, that is how much I liked him. 



I liked this book a whole lot more than I thought I would! Seriously one of the most captivating, amazing books I've read in a long while. Every single minute I was away from this book was HORRIBLE because all I wanted to do was read, read, read. You will get hooked by this series once you start but it's not a bad thing at all because it is FANTASTIC so if you haven't read it yet, go read it now.



I'm going to say it: I think fans of Twilight would really love this book. And I think if you're in a search of a fun book to read, this is so made for you too!

No comments :

Post a Comment